Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cheryl Loves Arlene

Cheryl and Arlene
Gary, Cheryl, Arlene and Gary (sorry Ron)
-->
Okay Ron is missing, but he was greeting his guests for David’s wedding.  But this is not about a wedding.  This is about Arlene and our incredible experience that started October 13, 2012.  We were two sisters having a “week-long” visit, and it turned into a journey of our hearts.

Arlene and I have not spent this much time together as adults and I will cherish the first 7 weeks I’ve spent with my much loved Sister.  I look forward to the rest of this miraculous journey together.  For those who have been blessed with siblings, you know the pain of sibling rivalry.  Arlene and I are so blessed that this journey has been one of love and caring.  I simply wish it had started sooner.

Arlene has been my sister for 62 years and she has been my role model (that I could never live up to, and frankly her work hours make me tired).   I have always been proud of her accomplishments and even claim bragging rights.  My friends and coworkers probably got tired of hearing me brag about my incredibly invincible sister Arlene, a Phenomenal Woman. 

Recently, Paul (Ronald’s wife Leissa’s brother) passed on.  At his memorial it was mentioned that near the end of his life Paul said he was Invicted.  “Invictus” is a poem Arlene memorized in grade school. 

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

My big Sis’ life is summoned up in the last two lines of this poem.   She is in a class of her own!

Arlene, I love you undeniably, irrevocably and unconditionally.  You have my heart!

1 comment: